Singapore offers a pro-family environment for eligible and high-skilled foreign professionals who are relocating to Singapore to take on a role. In order to help foreign professionals stay close to their dependants i.e. immediate family members, the Ministry of Manpower allows Singapore work visa holders to relocate to Singapore with their loved ones i.e. spouses and children via the application of the Singapore Dependant Pass (DP).

The status of the Singapore Dependant Pass is connected to the validity of the Singapore work visa. This means that when a Singapore work visa has to be renewed, its corresponding Dependant Visas must be renewed as well.

Who is eligible?

Singapore work visa holders must possess a Singapore employment pass, Singapore EntrePass or PEP. They must also earn a minimum fixed monthly salary of S$4,000 with effect of 1 September 2012 to sponsor the stay of their dependants.

According to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), the following parties are eligible for the Dependent Pass:

    •  spouse and
    •  unmarried, biological or legally adopted children under the age of 21 years old.

Dependants of EP and S Pass holders who are in Singapore by 1 September 2012 will be allowed to stay in Singapore if said work pass holders have valid passes with their existing employers.

Who is no longer eligible?

With effect of 1 September 2012,  the following will not be eligible to apply under the Dependant Pass program:

  • Parents-in-law of P1 Pass holders
  • Parents or parents-in-law of P2 Pass holders

Parents and parents-in-law of P pass holders, common law spouses, children of common-law spouses, handicapped children aged over 21 and stepchildren aged under 21 who are not eligible for the Dependant Pass program are best advised to apply for the Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP).

What are the benefits?

WORK: You are allowed to work in Singapore as a DP holder. Your potential employer will apply for a Letter of Consent (LOC) on your behalf. The validity of your Dependant Pass and LOC are tied to the validity of your spouse’s or parent’s work visa. You will need to renew your LOC whenever your DP is renewed.

STUDY: Dependant Pass holders are also eligible to study in Singapore. No additional application for a student pass is required.

INCORPORATE: As a Dependant Pass Holder, you may incorporate a company. However, you cannot be a shareholder or director of the company.

Upon approval, a Singapore Dependant Pass card (similar to an Employment Pass card) will be issued that will state personal particulars and validity period. To avoid delays, it is advisable to apply for Dependant Pass when applying for Employment Pass.